Reyataz & Jaundice

I know this isn't exactly a hepatitis issue, but it is a liver issue. I recently started Reyataz & developed some mild hyperbilirubinemia. Is there anything that you have heard of that could decrease the jaundice? I know that this is probably not a good idea (but more an example) that Phenobarbital has been used as a hepatic enzyme inducer for infants with jaundice. Anything else you have ever heard of that would work in a similar way? Reducing the jaundice is only cosmetic but I work in a very public place with a lot of people.

Thank you.

You bring up the issue of Reyataz associated jaundice. Actually any questions regarding drug-associated hepatotoxicity is an appropriate question for this forum.

Reyataz associated jaundice is not related to a toxic effect on the liver per se, but rather associated with a modulation of a particular enzyme system which acts on "bilirubin." When bilirubin levels are too high, people can appear "jaundiced" or yellow. This is not serious, but obviously disconcerting cosmetically.

There are no recommendations to take other medications to make this improve. However, I have seen some patients who developed jaundice on Reyataz which then improved on its own over a few weeks. It is obviously troubling if it doesn't improve since other people do notice.

I would speak with your physician to see if there are other antiretroviral options for you if the jaundice does not improve.

Dr. McGovern

Acupuncture needle stick-should I be tested?
triple infection HBV, HCV, HIV+