Hepa Panel Evaluation

Last month, I have undergone Hepatitis Panel and here are the results:

HB Surface Antigen - Reactive (Confirmed)

Antibody to HB Surface Antigen - Non Reactive

Igm Antibody HP A virus - Non Reactive

Igm Antibody to HB Core Antigen - Non Reactive

HP Be Antigen - Non Reactive

Antibody to HP Be Antigen - Reactive (Confirmed)

Antibody to Hepatitis C - Non Reactive

To give you my short medical background, in 1996, I was diagnosed to have Hepatitis A and I took Essentiale and Immunosin as my medication. Since then my eyes were already a little bit yellowish until now. With the results i have right now, please tell me if I am potentially infectious especially that I share the same plate and spoon with my children and sometimes they will use my toothbrush.. or during sexual intercourse, is there any risk of infecting my partner? Is there any cure to this problem?

It appears that you have chronic hepatitis B. However since your antibody to e antigen is positive, you may have very little virus in your bloodstream. The best way to figure this out would be with a Hepatitis B DNA test.

The other issue is that you need to repeat your hepatitis B panel in 6 months to see if you may clear on your own since perhaps you were just recently infected.

I would not share toothbrushes etc with your children since hepatitis B virus can live in saliva. However your children are probably vaccinated and therefore protected. Your husband should be checked for hepatitis B and if he is negative, he should get a vaccination series.

Dr. McGovern

Hep C Reinfection
First sexual experience and hep B/C