HEP C

Hello doc, I feel silly asking this but i was with a friend who cut his finger, it was bleeding quite alot, he put a plaster on it but he didnt wash his hand before putting it on, and there may have been some blood on his fingers. My concern is I took a chewing gum from him from the same hand just after he put the plaster on. He was recenlty diagnosed with Hep C. My wisdom teeth were also causing my gums to be swallon and bleeding slighty at the time. Is it possible to get Hep C if there was some of his blood on the chewing gum, even a microscopic amount? Or is it a silly question? Concerned!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Silly question! No actually it is not a silly question, many people ask similar ones, so it must be a common concern. HCV is not really very contagious unless there is real blood to blood contact. What you describe is not a risk that is even quantifiable! Wash your hands! Stay safe! DTD

confused help
Urgent: Is my baby safe?