Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HEP C
Jan 25, 2005

Hello doc, I feel silly asking this but i was with a friend who cut his finger, it was bleeding quite alot, he put a plaster on it but he didnt wash his hand before putting it on, and there may have been some blood on his fingers. My concern is I took a chewing gum from him from the same hand just after he put the plaster on. He was recenlty diagnosed with Hep C. My wisdom teeth were also causing my gums to be swallon and bleeding slighty at the time. Is it possible to get Hep C if there was some of his blood on the chewing gum, even a microscopic amount? Or is it a silly question? Concerned!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Silly question! No actually it is not a silly question, many people ask similar ones, so it must be a common concern. HCV is not really very contagious unless there is real blood to blood contact. What you describe is not a risk that is even quantifiable! Wash your hands! Stay safe! DTD

Previous
confused help
Next
Urgent: Is my baby safe?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.