Hepatitis C & marijuana use - recent study

Dr. Dieterich, I read the below response to the use of marijuana by individuals with Hep C, but have also read that recent studies have shown a direct link between marijuana use by those with Hep C and rapid progression of liver disease. Can you please tell me if you agree with the recent studies? Dear Susan,

Quoted response: The active ingredient in marijuana is not a problem for the liver and if it keeps your son from using alcohol,then I would not have a problem with it. If he is drinking anyway, then it is just another abused substance. The other issue of course is the danger of the smoke to the lungs which seems to be more toxic than cigarette smoke, although most people don't smoke 20 joints per day. The most important thing is to stop alcohol and get treatment for hepatitis C. Good luck with him! DTD

Response from Dr. Dieterich

No I do not. I have not seen them. Makes me wonder, if true, what other substances they were using beside marijuana. DTD

treatment goals HCV and HIV
3 or 6 months? not sure...