The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

TEENAGE SEX - should I tell my parents about possible hepatitis?
Jan 5, 2005

Dear doctor,

Please help me because I am extremely scared after my first "sexual" experience. I wanted to try "toy-sex" before doing it with my girlfriend so I went to a sexshop and bought a sex-doll. At first I put a finger in it's vagina and realized that it had been used before by someone else(it was wet inside and there was some kind of gel or sperm, I don't know what) so I didn't have sex with it.

I am scared right now that if the previous user had bepatitis b/c I could catch it because I had a 1 day old cut on my finger where the sperm could get in. (I'm also a nail-bitter). I don't know if it was sperm or not or if there was some invisible blood in it. Is it possible to catch hep b/c this way?

I tested 1 week after this incidence but this period is not enought. I had also had hepb vax 7 years ago but my titter now is 50 (and I read that lower than 100 is not enought).

Should tell my parent and get tested? It's very embarassing.

Please help.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

What you are describing is a very very low risk experience. I would not give it any more thought. It sounds like what you are suffering from is guilt. It is admirable that you want to tell your parents and I would never say don't tell your parents, they are on your side and have your best interests at heart. I think that you can practice without toys and remember when you eventually do have sex to use condoms! Be careful! DTD

Possible exposure to hiv/hepc
Advised to Take Lamivudine During 3rd Trimester Due to HB-Need Answer ASAP

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint