Urgent--Adultry and HBV***

Doc, my third attempt to get your help... please respond and advise as possible.

I have been married for 26 years and like an idiot about 1 3/4 years ago had a one night fling. (Stupid I know... Also I don't know if it matter but I couldn't climax out of guilt -- I don't know if you have to climax to get a STD...?)

Anyhow, almost 1 3/4 years have past and my wife a regular giver of blood was notified by the red cross that her last two samples came back positive for the anti-body... Is it possible that my encounter nearly two years ago is responsible for her testing positive now?

Should I be tested -- maybe I have been carrying this from my one night fling... and she is just now showing up positive after all this time... Is this possible or likely?

Please help me understand as I am going crazy with worry for us and our family right now...

Thank you

M

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It is certainly possible that you acquired HBV after your escapade,but it would be unlikely. Before you go confessing, however you should see your doctor and get tested for everything including hepatitis A, B C and HIV as well as syphilis and chlamydia. If you do not have hep B or any markers for it then it was not you who gave your wife hep B. You should also make sure she follows up with her doctor, it could be a false positive test. Now the other question,YES it is possible to get an STD without a climax. Be careful if you cant be good! DTD

HBV vax
Possible exposure to hiv/hepc