I want to have a baby.

In 1992 I had an auto accident and my liver blow up and was very little chance of surviving. The Dr. did very good in reconstruct my liver. I had blood transfucion and recovered well of that accident.

In 2001, I was 28 years old. I went to see a Doctor to see if I I was ready to have a baby. The doctor told me that I have Hepatitis C and sent me with an especialist. The especialist told me that I have the risk of getting Cirrhosis or cancer. The Doctor did not recomended a viopsy becuase of what happen in my accident. The level that I had at that time was 5 million IU/mL I went on treatment for one year with Interferon. After the the year of treatment the numbers did not chancge. I have a second opinion with other especialist and he put me in pegesis for another year. I was successful and my level went to zero. I was very happy the Doctor told me that the 80% of the people recovers with this treatment and the other 20% the virus returns.

I was not that lucky after the six month I went back for my second blood test and they gave me the bad new that I still have the virus. I have the level of 54,950 IU/mL is not to high as I have it in the begining. I am very interested to have a baby. My question is if I have a baby what will be the risk for the baby and my with this level?

Mother to infant transmission only occurs about 5 percent of the time so your chances of transmitting HCV is low. ALso, with that level of virus your chances are even lower - especially if it stays low. However the risk is not zero.

It is important to remember that children can clear HCV much more commonly than adults. Furthermore, they tolerate IFN much better than adults. So if your child needs treatment, there are good options, particularly since we will probably have much better treatments in the future.

Dr. McGovern

hiv and hepc coinfection
is hepc cureable?