hiv and hepc coinfection

dear doc, i am an health care worker and its 3 months now that i got a prick from an terminally ill hepc and hiv coinfected person.if my ab test now says neg for hepc is it100% accurate.i understand that hiv ab test especially with hepc co infection takes atleast 9 months to be safe. should i go ahead and get a pcr test for both even if my hepc ab is negative.i am waiting my results in 2 days--that is ab tests. is it ok to assume that since hep c has amore chances of being infectious 7% than hiv1/300 --that once the hepc ab test which is accurate at 3 months is neg ;chances of hiv will be negative[as i had a prick from the same needle]. my whole problem is that 9 months is too long to wait for hiv ab test as my wife wishes to plan her pregnancy.ab tests are done routinely by hospital freely.i do not know if a doc could order for pcr[which is better rna or dna] please answer this thankyou.

If your hepatitis C antibody test was negative at 3 months, that is good news since the majority of times it would be positive by now. You did not specify at which point your second set of test results are due - but I will assume that these are the six month tests. If these are negative, I would not worry further about HCV testing. If you are still anxious you can discuss HCV RNA testing, but I think this would be very low yield.

Dr. McGovern

Post Hep B Test
I want to have a baby.