Marriage at Stake, please read and advise...

My Wife of nearly 30 years just tested positive with Hepititis B, according the the red cross. They sent a letter stating she has tested + for the anti-body on her last two donations.

I have been reviewing the causes and the most likely is sexual contact-- as neither of us use drugs or work in high risk areas. I came accross a website that stated however, that in 30-40% of causes the cause is unknown...

Is this true? The website is http://www.arens.com/brian/hbv.htm If true maybe I should not be so hard in judging or worrying about her having done something inappropriate...

I fear if this is not the case, that I must consider the most obvious and that is an afair... Also, I need advise since she has tested positive -- does this mean I am likely infected too? I have had no symptoms to date to my knowledge...

Thanks frustrated, worried and concerned all at the same time... Afraid my life is about to turn upside down...

God Bless and please respond.

Before you make any monumental decisions, I would go with your wife to her physician to discuss the blood test results fully. The testing for hepatitis B is extremely complicated and I personally have seen false positives.

Dr. McGovern

chances of HepatitisB
Efficacy of Second Round of HCV Treatment for Co-infected Patient