Will I get a reply this time...

Dear Dr. Barbara:

On December 4, I wrote you the following letter, asking your opinion and advice. Unfortunately, up to now, I have not receive your reply. I understand that, you may have hundreds of letter to answer, so I'm sending you my letter so that you would remember me. I just want to know if I'm still a threat to other people. Thank you. I take this opportunity to wish you and all the doctors here a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

04/12/04

Dear Doctor:

I was diagnosted with HB in 1992 even then the doctor told me that I might have it for at least five years ago, so I was told I was a HBV a carrier. In those days I knew nothing about HB. Since then, I tried to learn more so as to avoid doing harm to other people. Now, Im in high hope that my condition is turning to better. Unfortunately, doctors say that this disease is very complicated and difficult to understand, so I still am not very sure about my present condition. I wrote twice to you (doctors from this web site) before, but got not reply. I hope and pray that this time I will have a reply.

My last test, done October/November 2004, has returned with the following results:

HBsAg positive HBeAg negative Anti-HBe positive Anti-HBc - positive

HBV-DNA (PCR) <3x10^5 copies/ml

The doctor said that the tests also showed that I had a fatty liver, but this condition could be caused by many reasons and the overhall has indicated that my HB is in a inactive state.

Apart from the HBV DNA test which is the first time I did all test result match those done several years ago, in 1999 and 2001.

I would be very glad to hear your opinion and advice. Thank you. M Frank

I suspect that the level of virus noted on the DNA testing may be below the level of detection of the assay. I can't say for sure since you did not include this in your information. However, assuming that this indeed is the case, I agree with your physician who says that your hepatitis B is in an "inactive" state. This is good news although since you have a surface antigen that is positive, you are still a chronic carrier - although an "inactive" one.

As for the risk to others, the very low level of virus in the blood makes the risk to others extremely low. It is not zero though, since hepatitis B can "reactivate" from time to time so the best approach would be to always have sex with condoms.

I would discuss the issue of the viral cut mentioned in my first paragraph further with your doctor to be certain that this is true.

Dr. McGovern

second treatment
High risk Case ..... Transmission