I night Fling, is it Me, Next Steps?

I am male and have been married for 27 years. I had my first and only fling about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 years ago. I have had tremendous guilt since my one nighter -- and did not even ejaculate duing the experience. To much alcohol and guilt I suppose.

My wife has been a regular voluteer of blood donation, and now after almost 2 years since my one night encounter she got a message from the red cross telling her that she tested positive for the anti-body...

Is it possible, that I am the cause of this after all this time has passed since my one idiotic encounter? Should I get tested now to determine if I'm infected or have developed anti-bodies?

Please advise because I have had past fatty liver or blood pressure induced issues where my liver enzymes were boader line elevated.

Also, since the red cross has indicated that my wife has developed anti-bodies -- does this mean she will be ok or does she need further review and assessment from a skilled doctor...

I know you can not ease my mind with respect to my stupid act... It haunts me all the time and I have never told a soul until now...

If it is indeed my act, I will have to fess up... as I can not handle keeping this to myself much longer...

I just don't understand the mechanics of this virus... I heard that the incubation period is 2-4 weeks... If that were the case, you would have thought something would have shown up in her earlier blood donatations....

Can you help me understand and give me advise on what to do with respect to myself and getting confidential testing?

Thank you and please respond ASAP!

First of all, I would like to say that the chance of getting hepatitis B or C from one unprotected sexual intercourse would be extremely low.

Secondly, it is also of low likelikhood that even if you had hepatitis C, most monogamous couples don't transmit the virus to each other. The risk is about 1-2 percent.

Thirdly, there is a good chance that the antibody test in your wife may be a false positive.

I recommend that your wife have a "RIBA". This test is very accurate. If it is negative, then your wife does not have hepatitis C. If it is positive, then she truly does have infection.

I suspect it will be negative. This will give you and your wife some measure of peace.

Have a good New Year. Dr. McGovern

Hepatitis C and pregnancy
second treatment