HepC Petrified 16 y.o. - please help

Dear doctor, please help, because I am so scared that I am unable to study these days. My situation is like this.

My father was an army medical worker during peace times(Europe) 20 years ago. A few years ago I used(for many timese) on of dad's teeth cleasing defices (this thin metal piece for cleasing the space in between the teeth). I remember that for a couple times I cut my gums with it. My fear is that: - if my father had hep c (I don't know if he has it) and if he cut himself and if I then used the same piece (my father had 2 or 3 of them) and cut myself, would I get infeted then?

Should I worry and get tested (which I'm very scared to do and would like to avoid) or should I forget about this and focus on studying?

I'm trying to tell myself that after those 20 years my father is ok, and the whole likelyhood of me being infected is smaller than a fatal car crash but I can't sleep, rest and study.

What should I do?

Thank you so much for your time.

Max

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Max, share this burden with your parents! You should not generally share dental instruments like toothbrushes but there is very little to worry about! If you have any other risks, you may want to see the doctor and make sure you are vaccinated against hepatitis A and B as well! There is nothing to worry about at all if your Dad does not have any blood-borne illnesses! DTD

Enough of the same question!!
oral sex anf Hep. B