The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HepC Petrified 16 y.o. - please help
Dec 20, 2004

Dear doctor, please help, because I am so scared that I am unable to study these days. My situation is like this.

My father was an army medical worker during peace times(Europe) 20 years ago. A few years ago I used(for many timese) on of dad's teeth cleasing defices (this thin metal piece for cleasing the space in between the teeth). I remember that for a couple times I cut my gums with it. My fear is that: - if my father had hep c (I don't know if he has it) and if he cut himself and if I then used the same piece (my father had 2 or 3 of them) and cut myself, would I get infeted then?

Should I worry and get tested (which I'm very scared to do and would like to avoid) or should I forget about this and focus on studying?

I'm trying to tell myself that after those 20 years my father is ok, and the whole likelyhood of me being infected is smaller than a fatal car crash but I can't sleep, rest and study.

What should I do?

Thank you so much for your time.


Response from Dr. Dieterich

Max, share this burden with your parents! You should not generally share dental instruments like toothbrushes but there is very little to worry about! If you have any other risks, you may want to see the doctor and make sure you are vaccinated against hepatitis A and B as well! There is nothing to worry about at all if your Dad does not have any blood-borne illnesses! DTD

Enough of the same question!!
oral sex anf Hep. B

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint