Dec 19, 2004
For someone who is HIV Positive and has Hep C, went through 48 weeks of treatment and the virus came back within three months, was put on treatment again with another peg for 12 months, is it possible to clear the virus with this course of second treatment? Would appreciate your input. Many thanks.
Response from Dr. McGovern
This is the million dollar question. We do not know the answer to your important question at this time. Nor do we know if retreatment for a longer period of time may be necessary.
Patients with HIV and HCV tend to have higher HCV viral loads than patients with HCV alone. Therefore there is some rationale to treat longer to address the fact that it may take longer to get the virus down to levels for eradication. However, we don't know the answer to this yet. A study called "SLAM-C" will hopefully help us in this regard.
Monitoring Your Liver
A WORRIED CHILD
- Black Spots After Open Mouth Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Fever After Sex With Hooker Worried I Have HIV
- Painful Ejaculation After Anal Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Red Eyes After Erotic Massage Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Testicles After Receptive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.