Glyburide & Metformin vs Insulin

My Endocinologist wants to put me on a combination of Glyburide 5mg 2x a day as well as Metformin HCL 500mg 2x a day. Is this safe with someone with HCV? I'm a Stage 3 Grade 4. My other option is Insulin. Does insulin effect the liver. I heard that insulin can cause your weight to increase, thats one thing I don't need. Thanks

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Sounds like you also need hepatitis C treatment. There is a small chance of liver toxicity with both those drugs. However you are right about insulin. It would be better for your liver to reduce insulin levels which will get some fat out of your biopsy which should make it easier to treat your hepatitis C! So I would vote for the oral drugs with careful monitoring of your liver enzyme levels as well as your insulin level. Once that is under control, you should treat the HCV. Good luck! DTD

Sanitary conditions in Vietnam relating to Hepatitis A, B and C
Duration of treatment with Pegasus and Copegus