Hep C , Alcohol and Pain

Dr. Dieterich,

I've been diagnosed with Hep C. My Dr. advised me not to drink anymore. I stopped for about 6 months, but started back again, this time only occasionally - every other week or so, monthly or holidays. I usually have 2-3 drinks, possibly 1.5 oz drinks when I drink. I've noticed stomach pain on the right side under my breast area and now, across the bottom part of my stomach area. I plan to see my doctor next week. My first question is 1) since I have Hep C, is it alright to occasionally have 2-3 drinks sometimes. 2) If I have to take medicine, will the Hep C ever go away? 3) Also, Does Marijuana effect Hep C? Thank you for your advice.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

An occaisonal and I mean occaisonal drink or 2 is not a big deal. If it gets to be more than that it is a problem. Marijuana does not harm the liver, but it has other issues. If you have that pain you need to get seen by your MD. The good news is HCV is absolutely 100% curable! Not everyone gets cured, but now the numbers are the majority of people do and then you can go back to drinking in moderation! DTD

HVC maintainance therapy
Inactive to Active Carrier