Autoimmune hepatitis

Dear Dr Dieterich, I am not so sure if you are the right specialist about this topic, but i need desperate help!!!!!. My girlfrient was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis last june. She had a lots of infections inclding pink eye last winter. After regular blood work her liver levels were up to 250 and 400. After some more tests she was prescribed prednozone. Started with 50 mg slowly reduced to 15 mg 5 every 10 days. Her blood work in august wewe back to normal. In september they were highly elevated. Now here WBC, MCH, NEUTROPHILIS ABSOULUTE, LYMPHOCTYES ASOLUTE, MONOCYTES ABSOLUTE levels are also high. Her doctor does not seem to have all the answers. First he said prednazone treament woul dbe for 9 to 12 months. Now he tels us there is a %80 possiblity of relapse. And she may be on it for life. I am inworry and fear that this might be begining of liver cancer. She is 29 years old. I need so advice or proper guidence. Any suggestions or advice will begreat. thanks miko

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Autoimmune hepatitis is most commonly found in women who are young. It usually requires lifelong treatment. The chances of developing liver cancer are very small if it is treated. There really has to be cirrhosis for liver cancer to be a real worry. This will require medication for a long time, if not for life. It is however very treatable. She should be fine! DTD

HCV Treatment Stopped
Procrit