chronic carrier diagnosis/husband negative/planning a pregnancy

I recently had prenatal blood testing. My results came back HBsAG +, anti-HBc +, HBeAG -, ANTI-HBe +, HBsAg (neutralization) +. I was told I am a chronic carrier. Am I an "inactive" or active carrier? How is that determined? If I am "inactive" is that why I have not transmitted HBV to him? My husband (we have been together 5 yrs) tested negative. Why have I not given HBV to him? We are planning on trying to get pregnant in two months. Does he need to get vaccinated? If yes, do we have to wait to have unprotected sex until after the entire 6 month vaccination period. We don't want to wait 6 months to start trying to get pregnant but I don't want to give him the virus. Please respond as soon as possible. This diagnosis shocked me and I am very concerned.

E

I would ask for hepatitis B DNA testing to be certain that you do not hepatitis B e antigen negative infection with detectable virus. That is not a common problem so most likely you are "inactive" - ie. you don't have virus in your blood but you were exposed in the past. And without virus in your blood, you would not infect your partner. That is why I suspect your DNA will be non-detectable.

You will need careful follow-up during pregnancy and your baby will need hepatitis B immunoglobulin and vaccination to afford complete protection.

Your husband should be vaccinated yes. If you don't want to wait 6 months, I would at least wait until he has two injections because this gives significant protection. You can also talk to your doctor about other vaccination schedules which are more compressed. Dr. McGovern

Painful Hemmoroids with HCV Treatment
Concerned Wife