hep c treatment

I'vwe been infected with hep c for oer 6 years now. I had interferon treatment about 3 years ago, it made me very ill and didn't work, i'm still pcr pos. Is there any new treatments that have better results?? i live in the uk, thanks

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Yes, there are new advances in the treatment for HCV.The new drugs have been developed using pegylation.This means that a moiety of polyethilene glycol (Peg) is added to the molecules of interferon alfa.The best described drug is the peg-interferon alfa 2-a (Pegasys) in development by Hoffmman La-Roche. Initial data about Pegasys is of about 40% sustained response (6 months after drug is stopped.The data in combo with ribavirin ( RBV)is pending but suggest cures over 50%. The side effects of Peg are similar to the ones during monotherapy,but less.The drug is much better tolerated and drop outs are less. Go to your doctor and consider this alternatives when the drug is available.

exposure risks
initial treatment failed, now what?