For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

hepatitis c and dentistry

can fluid splashed from a patient's mouth into my eye, mostly water from the handpiece, but possibly mixed with small amounts of saliva and blood from a hep C positive patient be a credible exposure to the virus? Also, the patient has undergone interferon treatment, but still has a "very low" viral load. I kind of remember her mentioning the number 8, maybe 8 eq/ml.

I would categorize any blood exposure to the mucous membranes such as the eye, as a very low risk exposure. You should certainly get baseline and follow-up testing to rule out any occupational exposure to protect yourself. However, I fully expect the results will be negative. Dr. McGovern

Terminating Hepsera Treatment