The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nov 21, 2004

Hello, first, I wanna to apologise because I am disturbing you and my English is very bad and I hope that you can understeand me. My name is Ivy, 29yrs, from Croatia, Europe. I am HCV positive, genotype 3A. I didnt get interferon therapy yet. I was diagnosed 1 year ago. Last year in tha May 2003 viral load was 300 000 IU/ml, alt 108, ast 52. After that in the June 2004 ast was 28, alt 34. Now I am cofused because one of my specialists here in Croatia told me that if my blood test results are not 3 times higher then they must be, I dont have to start therapy (Pegasys, Ribavarin) because of contraindications. Other specialists said to me that I have to start therapy and that I would have better results if my blood tests are lower as they are now. What is the true? Do I have to start therapy now or is it really better to wait until my blood test results gonna be higher?! I have new results from today ast: 46, alt 74, ggt 10, Fe 28.6, crp 5.0, UIBC, BIL 13.4 I am waiting to get HCV quantitative results next week. I forget to tell you that I have made liver biopsy in november 2003 and results was:

Bridging necrosis : 0 piecemeal necrosis: 2 portal inflammation: 3 focal necrosis: 2 = 7/18

fibrosis stage = 2/6

Please, let me know what would you do ? Start therapy or wait? Thank you , Ivy

Response from Dr. McGovern

Based on your liver biopsy which shows stage 2 fibrosis and moderate inflammation, I would treat you.

You have an excellent chance of responding also with genotype 2 infection and relatively low viral load!

You would only need 6 months of treatment. In matter of fact, at a recent liver research meeting, patients with genotype 3 infection and low viral load were usually cured by as little as 4 months of treatment. So if you are having a lot of side effects, this will be important to remember.

I would not base my decision to treat you or not based on the level of your ALT or AST. Even with normal liver function tests, I would treat you based on your biopsy.

Dr. McGovern

bloody surfaces?
hepatitis c and dentistry

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint