Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

when to begin treatment for coinfected
Nov 20, 2004

I've been HIV pos for 4 and a half years and tested positive for Hep C at the same time (double-whammy!). My doctors and I decided to monitor levels closely over the past 4 and a half years and delay treatment for HIV. A liver biopsy (following acute symptoms of hepatitis - jaundice, weight-loss, etc...)in Spring of 1999 showed "moderate" scar tissue. I do not drink and take relatively good care of myself - exercise, eat well). I feel well. My CD4 count has been in the 250 range for the past year and my last viral load was 39,000. I hear conflicting reports on when to begin treatment for "co-infecteds", though recently my HIV doctor and I decided to begin treatment due to some gum problems (HIV periodontitis). The meds have arrived - Sustiva and Truvada - and I'm staring at them. I have been for 2 weeks. Afraid to begin. Seems that most of the comments I read are from people who feel that they may have started treatment too early. I feel fine with the exception of the occasional mouth problems that I currently have under control. Should I wait to begin HIV treatment? Will waiting to begin HIV treatment make the HCV worse? Will beginning HIV treatment make the HCV worse? I don't want to make a mistake because I am aware of the fact that once I start, there is virtually no stopping. Please advise. Thank you.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I understand your concern about starting since this is not just some antibiotic course which will be done in ten days.

However, your T cell count is getting to a place where it is very reasonable to start. HIV disease is associated with faster progression of HCV liver disease. A recent study suggests that treatment with HAART may actually slow this trend down.

You may also want to discuss with your doctor if you have HCV virus in your blood. Once your T cells are higher, it might be a great time to start thinking about treating your liver disease.

Previous
Followup Bloodwork
Next
Second treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.