Dorothy oz

I was pegintron/ribavarin for 15 months. While on the treatment my Hep c counts disapared. After six weeks off the drugs my counts are now back. Do you think I should try another serie of the drug? Is it worth another try?

I would not try another trial of peg and ribavirin. I would discuss the extent of disease you have with your physician to see if he or she is concerned that you have very advanced disease, like cirrhosis. If so, you can discuss the possibility of taking low dose pegylated interferon which is being studied for possible prevention of decompensated cirrhosis. However, it should be emphasized that we do not have data to prove it is effective for long-term therapy for this purpose.

Alternatively, in about five years I suspect we will have other types of drugs for HCV including protease inhibitors, one of which was just tried in patients with hepatitis C for two weeks with good results. Dr. McGovern

Liver enzymes and Hep-B
Next Step - Your opinion please