Inactive HBV & Fatty liver

Dear Dr. McGovern,

I've been diagnosed as inactive HBV carrier (normal LFT test every 6 months and undetectable HBV DNA earlier this year)) and moderately fatty liver without focal mass. I've been loosing over 10 lbs due to dieting and exercise but still about 10 lbs above ideal weight. Of course I will do everything I can to get the ideal weight. My questions are:

1. How the bad is the term "moderately fatty liver without focal mass" as it appeared on my ultrasound report?

2. Does fatty liver, Cholesterol and triglycerides levels have any affects on the HBV carrier term?

3. What else should I do to avoid the fatty liver to become inflame.

Thank you very much

All terrific questions...

Fatty liver in and of itself on the ultrasound doesn't tell us what a biopsy would tell us - is the fat inflamed???

Cholesterol and high triglycerides and diabetes and obesity can all contribute to fatty liver. Fatty liver has been associated with increased scarring in patients with hepatitis C - but not in patients with hepatitis B.

Getting to your ideal body weight is an excellent idea no matter what.

Dr. McGovern

HBV DNA and Antibody
Liver enzymes and Hep-B