For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Can HIV Meds Cause Hepatitis

Saw something on one of Ask the Expert Forums about HIV meds causing Hepatitis, I am HIV+ and HAV- HBV- HCV-, and want to stay neg. So can HIV meds cause hepatitis?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Very good question. Hepatitis means an inflammation of the liver. It can be caused by many things. Medications, viruses like hepatitis A, B and C and autoimmune diseases like lupus. Lots of medications can cause hepatitis and HIV meds are certainly in that group. However, you just need to be careful and monitor your blood tests to look for signs of hepatitis. Now if you are negative for Hep A and B you need to get vaccinated for both ASAP! Stay well! DTD

Am I cured?
failed interferon treatment now what