lifespan of HCV

I am very confused about the different answers I have found about the lifespan of HCV outside the body. The CDC claims it can live for 4-16 days on surfaces, but you have written in your responses that it dies pretty fast, unless in a blood clot. Does the CDC test the virus in very unusual environments and higher viral loads which would enable the virus to live longer. Could you explain a little deeper why the CDC claims one thing and you say another? Thank you!!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There is a big differene between a live virus and one that is capable of transmitting disease. Technically the virus can live that long but a thin film of dried up virus on a flat surface is not really a risk for transmission. Remember, the virus has to get into your blood stream. The CDC is being scientifically accurate but I am trying to be realistic. DTD

Dr please answer - HBV Transmission & Window questions
HepB case: failed hepsera, what next?