The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr please answer - HBV Transmission & Window questions
Nov 8, 2004

Doctor, I have read the archives, but would really, really appreciate some clarification on a couple things...

1. I had an encounter about 5 weeks ago, and went to my doctor for testing. In one archive message, you say the window for HBV testing is usually only 2-4 weeks, but in another you say 6 weeks to three months. Is that a difference between antigen and antibody, or what? If I tested a day or two before five weeks (and I believe my dr is checking both antigen and antibody), how likely would it be that the test is accurate?? (And if it is negative, would it be of any benefit to get a vaccine at this point...would that protect me at all now if I was exposed 5 weeks ago?)

2. Archives have some info about oral sex, but it's usually about the insertive partner. If I gave unprotected fellatio to someone very briefly (probably 10 seconds or so), and they did not ejaculate, what is the risk for me acquiring HBV?

Thank you so much. I have been pretty stressed, and now it is not easy awaiting test results, and I really look forward to your answer.


Response from Dr. Dieterich

Hepatitis B is a sexually transmitted disease. However what you describe is a very low risk behavior. You are right the antigen or virus should be detectable in a few weeks, but the antibody will take about 6 weeks. You should take the vaccine for both A and B if you are negative. It will not protect you from this episode, but will for future ones. Stay safe! DTD

hiv@hepc is viramune o.k.?
lifespan of HCV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint