antiHB titers

Hello, I have some questions regarding testing, I hope you can help! I had received 2 of 3 HBV vaccine shots before having a possible exposure recently. Five days after the possible exposure I received the "third" vaccine and followed that 2 days later with the HBIG shot.

6.5 weeks after the possible exposure I got a HBsAg test which came back negative fortunately. I would like to know if further vaccinations or testing would be necessary in your opinion? Since a month and a half went by since the last vaccination, I asked a clinic doctor for a test to see if the vaccine worked. (same day as HBsAg test) They gave me the anti-HBs test. The person at the lab said it would show a titer #. It came back positive but the nurse who gave me the result said it is only a "yes/no" test and there is no titer number. So, should I ask for a different test to see if I have enough protection, or do you recommend another HBIG or vaccine round? Or can I assume I won't get HBV from this?

Finally, it seems like there is a high chance of false positives with the HCV antibody test. My exposure was some saliva from a prostitute and I had some cracked skin on my lip. (she placed her nipple in my mouth which had some of her saliva on it) I would have a lot of anxiety dealing with a false positive so I'm not sure if I should be tested for HCV. They won't do PCR at the clinic.

Any advice warmly appreciated! -Jerome

Hepatitis B vaccine is very effective and your positive hepatitis B antibody is enough proof for me that it led to seroconversion and you are protected.

Your exposure to hepatitis C is extremely low risk. I would not pursue testing if you did not have intercourse.

Dr. McGovern

HEPC contracted when you are younger is better then older
hiv/aids or hepatitis