Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fibrosis progression vs activity level
Oct 29, 2004

I have had Hep C genotype 1 for almost 30 years. Last year I did 48 weeks of Pegasus treatment w ribavirin and was undetectable until immediately after the treatment ended. Biopsy showed stage 1 fibrosis. There is no treatment my doctor recommends currently. My question concerns my activity level. I am a marathon runner, running 50 miles per week and I'm wondering if the high activity level is going to increase the progression of the desease. The only thing I have found about this was an article stating that hard prolonged exercise lowers the resistance of the immune system.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would continue exercising as you are. You are in excellent shape and probably are not overweight. Obesity is a risk factor for fat infiltration in the liver and this has been recently shown to increase the risk for scarring in patients with hepatitis C.

Avoid alcohol and keep trim. Stay tuned for more information regarding treatment of patients who relapsed. The liver meetings will be held in Boston and there may be new information regarding longer treatment for patients like you who responded and then relapsed later. There will also undoubtedly be new medications in the next five years to try. Luckily your disease is mild so you have time on your side. Also the fact that you had hepatitis C for 30 years and only have mild disease is terrific. I would pursue repeat biopsy in 4-5 years after the first one to confirm non-progression. Dr. McGovern

Previous
Are these ALT's the same?
Next
hepatitus vaccine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.