|Are these ALT's the same?
Oct 29, 2004
I most often see an ALT test range of 0-40 with normal around 20. My lab's range for the ALT test is 0-60. Is an ALT reading of 36 still normal or the high of normal based on the 0-40 range? I thought all labs were the same. This is confusing. Thanks very much.
Response from Dr. McGovern
This is a very good question. All laboratories have their own reference range for what is normal so you should only be concerned if your ALT is abnormal in your own laboratory. Do not compare lab to lab.
One short question
Fibrosis progression vs activity level
- Hiv Transmission From Vaginal Fluid During Frottage
- Cytomegalovirus With Hepatitis
- How Long Can You Test Negative For Hiv While Actually Being Positive?
- How Long Does It Take For Hiv To Transmit?
- Why Can't I Get Rid Of My Chlamydia?
- What Is The Difference Between Genital Herpes And Cold Sores?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.