Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

play area, cont.
Oct 29, 2004

I am sorry to bother you again, but I need a little more info from you regarding my son getting a cut while playing on the play-area at a mall. You said it would be next to zero risk.... is that even taking into consideration the likelyhood of other children getting little cuts too. I am sure my child wasn't the only one who cut themselves that day. Just how likely is it for a child to have the disease and how much blood would have to be present for this to be a risk? My sons cut was the size of a small raisan or something... a little circular piece of skin got torn. Would HCV weaken after it leaves the body? Why would this situation be a near zero risk? Thank you.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Hepatitis C is very uncommon in children so the risk would be very very low for the possibility of an infected child to also get a cut which then also happens to get into the cut of your child.

If you continue to have anxiety about this, please talk to your pediatrician about testing. Dr. McGovern

Previous
is pegasys/copeg chemotherapy
Next
One short question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.