Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

overly paranoid?
Oct 25, 2004

I need to be set straight as far as being too paranoid about HIV and HCV. I am to a point where I worry any time my children get cuts in play areas. Just the other day my 18 month old was playing in a mall play-area and there were probably 75 other kids swarming around the area as well. When we got home I noticed he had a new cut on his finger that he must have gotten while playing. Well, with a fresh cut.... what if one of the other kids bled on the equipment and then my son's open wound touched it? It could happen. I know it is unlikely for a child to have HCV..... but some do. With 75 kids playing...... 1 of them is bound to have the disease and what if that one bled and my son happened to touch it with his wound? Am I being too over-protective or is this a legit concern. I would think if it were legit..... the other 100 moms would be worried too. None of my other friends/family members even think about these scenarios..... why me? Please be honest......am I over-reacting or are they just being too naive?

Response from Dr. McGovern

I think you are a concerned mother who wants her child to be healthy. However, I do want to reassure you that the chance of your child getting HCV from a cut on a playground is next to zero.Enjoy watching your child play!

Dr. McGovern

Previous
Chronic Hep B case
Next
please answer my concern,

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.