manicures?

My mom has been getting manicures for 20years and has been clear of HepC.... she had stopped getting them done about 2 years ago and just started back 2 months back. Now that I am educated on HCV I am worried about her wellbeing. I am going to buy her a kit to take with her that has her own manicure supplies. But, she did get knicked the last time she was there by the electric file... they do have all of the supplies soaking in Barbatrol, but I worry about if they dip the "file bits" in there as well. What risk is my mom at with a one time knick of the skin with the electric file? Is it the same as a needle stick? I know that repeated exposure is a higher risk, but since this happened only once is it a small risk? We don't even know if someone with HCV got blood on it beforehand, but lets say there was HCV blood on the file..... should we learn from this experience and move on or should she be really worried and get tested? Thank you!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The risk from a needlestick is about 1 in a thousand. From a nailfile it would be much much less. Have her bring her own tools and forget it! Stay well, both of you! DTD

How to keep chronic Hep B under control?
Chronic Hep B case