Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

manicures?
Oct 25, 2004

My mom has been getting manicures for 20years and has been clear of HepC.... she had stopped getting them done about 2 years ago and just started back 2 months back. Now that I am educated on HCV I am worried about her wellbeing. I am going to buy her a kit to take with her that has her own manicure supplies. But, she did get knicked the last time she was there by the electric file... they do have all of the supplies soaking in Barbatrol, but I worry about if they dip the "file bits" in there as well. What risk is my mom at with a one time knick of the skin with the electric file? Is it the same as a needle stick? I know that repeated exposure is a higher risk, but since this happened only once is it a small risk? We don't even know if someone with HCV got blood on it beforehand, but lets say there was HCV blood on the file..... should we learn from this experience and move on or should she be really worried and get tested? Thank you!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The risk from a needlestick is about 1 in a thousand. From a nailfile it would be much much less. Have her bring her own tools and forget it! Stay well, both of you! DTD

Previous
How to keep chronic Hep B under control?
Next
Chronic Hep B case

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.