How to keep chronic Hep B under control?

I have chronic Hepatitis B. My HBV load is 8.1. Biopsy results show Grade 1, Fibrosis stage 2. My doctor told me that it is early stage2. One of the two biopsy specimen showed stage 1, but the other specimen showed early stage 2. My ALT is 54 and AST is 37. Couple of years ago I had acute hepatitis due to Epstein Bar virus. At that time my HBV load was 8.0 Before that My ALT used to be around 27. I would like to know if I should start the treatment. If so what treatment I should take? If I stop the medicine after one year, will my ALT be totally out of control (My ALT currently is on the high side but it is not abnormal)? Should I wait for new medicine that may come out soon? Based on this how long it may take to reach to stage4 fibrosis?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

If you have fibrosis at all, then you really need to be treated. I don't know where you are, but lamivudine and adefovir are the best drugs for HBV. Pegasys just showed considerable activity against HBV in a recent study. I would suggest treatment now but ask your MD if they can get you a HBVDNA by PCR. That will be easier to follow. Good luck! DTD

HCV treatment non responsive
manicures?