|Chronic Hep B meds and HIV impact
Oct 22, 2004
I have chronic Hep B and have been taking Epivir HBV and Hepsera (lamivudine, 3TC and adefovir dipivoxil) for nearly a year now. My viral load is undetectable and my liver functions are normal.
I am HIV negative (just tested last week). My partner is positive. We practice safe sex.
For peace of mind, I'm just curious to know if the drugs I'm on provide me any additional protection from HIV? I'm not about to start having unprotected sex, but sometimes it's nice to know if I have a little extra insurance because of my own meds.
| Response from Dr. McGovern
Hepsera which you are taking is only 10 mg a day. For any HIV activity, the drug was dosed at 60 mg a day, and even at that was not effective.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Anal Warts After Touching Open Wound Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Penis After Insertive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Burning Penis After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Coated Tongue After Getting A Tattoo Worried I Have HIV
- Ear Infection After Sex With Stripper Worried I Have HIV
- Hair Loss After Touching Anus Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.