Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Chronic Hep B meds and HIV impact
Oct 22, 2004

I have chronic Hep B and have been taking Epivir HBV and Hepsera (lamivudine, 3TC and adefovir dipivoxil) for nearly a year now. My viral load is undetectable and my liver functions are normal.

I am HIV negative (just tested last week). My partner is positive. We practice safe sex.

For peace of mind, I'm just curious to know if the drugs I'm on provide me any additional protection from HIV? I'm not about to start having unprotected sex, but sometimes it's nice to know if I have a little extra insurance because of my own meds.

Curious Paul

Response from Dr. McGovern

Hepsera which you are taking is only 10 mg a day. For any HIV activity, the drug was dosed at 60 mg a day, and even at that was not effective.

Lamivudine is dosed at 150 mg a day for hepatitis B and this would be very insufficient dose against HIV.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
can we trust what u say
Next
Chronic HepB case

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.