Followup

Hi Dr. Here is the followup you wanted. First the original HB S AG W/reflex Conf HB S AG 0.43 Negative HB S AB,QL Nonreactive HB E AG Negative HB E AB Negative New Result HB Core AB, Total Positive. Dr tells me I had Hep B it cleared, but no antibody. Suggest I should be vaccinated. Your advice? He says smalll percent of people dont develop antibody. Thanks again

I agree with your physician that you probably had hepatitis B in the past and cleared it.

Your results are consistent with a serologic profile called "isolated hepatitis B core antibody". This is somewhat common in the population at large.

We have done some research on this and found that this profile is even more common if you have hepatitis C. I would be certain that you have been checked for hepatitis C also.

I think it is reasonable to be immunized since it is felt that surface antibody is protective - and your sAB is negative. However, there are no clear answers to this question in the literature at large. Dr. McGovern

Dr. McGovern

Hepsera for HBV Treatment
eia test after one year