Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help with my lab results
Oct 9, 2004

Dear Doctors,

I had a risky exposure 6 months ago (sexual). I have the vaccine against HAV and HBV (never tested did it work). I wanted to rule out the hepatitis as well as the HIV. Tests and results were following:

8 weeks HIV-ELISA- neg 14 weeks HIV Elisa- neg 24 weeks HIV rapid test (Elisa?)- neg HAVAb- neg HBsAg- neg HCVAb- neg

I am not sure about the generation of the HIV tests. I have 2 questions:

1. Were the tests correct ones? 2. Are the results conclusive for HIV and hepatitis? Also concerning different subtypes (I am from Europe where the subtypes are reality)

I would really appreciate an answer.

Matt

Response from Dr. McGovern

Your testing is completely reassuring, especially since they were carried out until 6 months. It would be helpful to have hepatitis B surface antibody checked to be certain that the vaccine worked properly in you, since some patients do not develop protective antibody despite receiving all doses of vaccine.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
Happy I think
Next
worried about hepitits- Hands are raw and I fear risk of infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.