The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Treatment for inactive HBV carrier
Oct 9, 2004

Hi,I am 29 years old male with Inactive (Anti HBe posiive) HBV status. My doctor hasn't given me any medicine except cheking LFT with ultrasound every 6 months. But I am always worried for HCC when i came to knw that i am a carrier from last Feb, 2004. Isn't there any medicine which i can take to get rid of this nasty virus? My doctor said there is no treatement and only i can check my LFT. He also didn't advise me for HBV DNA test. Please enlighten me.

Response from Dr. McGovern

You are asking a very good question about inactive hepatitis B.

Inactive hepatitis B carriers have hepatitis B surface antigen, hepatitis B e antibody and have no detectable virus and normal liver function tests. It would be important to establish that your HBV DNA is non-detectable to be certain that you do not fall into the category of "pre-core mutant" - patients who have hepatitis B e antibody but still have detectable virus circulating in their bloodstream. This does not occur often but should be evaluated (10% in US; more in the Mediterranean).

If you have normal liver function tests and no detectable virus, then monitoring your liver function tests every 6-12 months is sufficient. If your liver function tests become abnormal, then a HBV DNA test should be checked again to be certain your disease is quiet.

Dr. McGovern

RE: difference between IU/ML & EQ/ML
follow up about children?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint