Scratch on child

Hello Dr. D,

My child had a small scratch on his hand, if it bled it was just a microscopic amount. He came home from school that day with a little red smudge on his hand close to the scratch. My first thought is someone bled at school and it got on him. If this was the situation...... would the little scratch be enough for HCV OR HIV to get in? I really nervous about this situation..... I am sure my children will contact others blood in sports, playground...and I need to know when to be alarmed. Would the scratch have to be deep? Is a little cat scratch a big enough opening for this situation? Thank you very much. I am concerned with both, HEPC and HIV.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Really nothing to worry about. The chances are very low. Actually the most likely transmission that way is Hep B and your child should already be vaccinated for that. Keep up the good mothering! DTD

HEP B core AB total
Newly diagnosed with hep c,also have hiv..........