The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sep 29, 2004

My son just went to China as a foreign exchange student. They tested him when he got there to get a resident permit and a permit to go to school..HIV, TB and checked to see if he had all of his vacines. They also ran a Hep C test, it isn't required, they just did it. They say he has it! We didn't know. I thought I got it thru a blood transfusion when he was born? I guess I had it before ? I had my other 2 younger kids checked this week and they don't have it? They are sending him home from China. His dream is ruined for living there this year and learning the language and I feel its all my fault. What are his risks? What happens if he has kids? I have no health ins. anymore, I had Pacific Care until they dropped all ind. policies. And they told me I could get hi-risk! Can't afford it. My son will have ins. until he gets out of hi school, then will he be in the same boat, only hi risk? His test they sent says Anti-BCV Positive? I have my liver functions checked every 6 months and they are normal. I had 6 mo. of interferon in 1993 when they discovered I had it. I never knew what my viral count was. Isn't it rare that my son has this from me and why don't the other kids?

Response from Dr. McGovern

I agree that this would be unusual for transmission to your son. This would be about 5 percent risk.

The first thing I would do would be to get a RIBA test to confirm that your son truly has hepatitis C. If he has no risk this antibody test is probably false positive. Dr. McGovern

Diabeties with Hep C
Hep C Treatment on Early Diagnosis

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint