How to protect the liver if HBV carrier

I am a HBV carrier. I was infected at the time of birth. Now I am 23. I want to know what I can do to prevent/slow down damge to my liver.

From what I have heard from my doc: 1) Never drink or smoke 2) Get a blood test for HCC and liver function every year. Ultrasound is also recommended. 3) Avoid a diet of excessively fatty, salty and sweet food. 4) Must go to bed before midnight so that the liver can repair itself. ( I heard that the liver does maintainence work around 10pm to 2am? )

In practice, (1) and (2) are easily done for most people. (3) can be followed somewhat persistently. I believe that many have trouble sticking to(4)

What else do you recommend? I wish to avoid HCC and cirrosis by all means!

Thanks.

If you are most worried about HCC, then speak with your doctor about getting surveillance ultrasounds and blood tests every 6 months.

Also, if you have HBV virus in your blood, then get treatment! There are great new treatments now - adefovir, lamivudine, and most recently new information that pegylated interferon is also effective.

Dr. McGovern

Confused about "healthy" chronic HBV carrier
HBV help