Dr. Dieterich

Dr. Dieterich, I went on Peg and Co-peg for my type 2 HCV (I am 52 and stage 3). After my lab tests at 11wks. I was clear, but continued for the remainder of the treatment for a total of seven months .

Three months after I was off the treatment, my primary care did a routine physical and tested me early(instead of waiting till 6 months). The HCV was back.

Since my insurance would no longer fully cover my original hepatology dr. at the Hepatitis and Liver dept within a major hospital, I was forced to search out a new dr. (something about private dr. versus hospital researach dr.)

Now this new dr. is very negative that I can become HCV 'free' since I have already been on treatment once and failed. Also when I told him of "re-treatment cases" in this forum and your recomendations of one year to 18 months for he said he would be cautious with long term use due to his worry over possible lymphoma and exposing my body to the side effects of the treatment. I was originally over 5 mil/copies and now only close to 3 hundred thous./copies. Please Dr.Dieterich, clear up what this dr. is talking about for me. I thought I could be cured with a long enough treatment and that it would be relativly safe. At least that is what I thought I have been reading in your forum so far.

Dr., Please answer as I desperatly seek to become clear of this disease and the effects on my body. I would do anything to reach that goal of Hep C free! Thank you so much for your advice! Sincerely, Syd

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Syd, There is no risk of lymphoma from long term interferon treatment in the literature. On the contrary, HCV is actually associated with lymphoma particularly NHL. Interferon is used to treat some kinds of cancer. I would certainly treat you again and for at least 12 months this time if you are genotype 2. It would make sense because of your age and your serious biopsy. You should really find someone who is a liver specialist. Good luck! DTD

Hep B infection through food?
future outlook on HCV