Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

open wound?
Sep 15, 2004

I am afraid I may have touched a little blood when touching the metal bin used for holding dirty feminine products in a public bathroom. I searched my hands and the only thing I could see was what apppeared to be an old scrape that never bled, maybe just scraped a layer of skin off.... b/c when I pulled the excess skin off there was just a little pink spot that oozed a little clear fluid. This cut never bled.. just oozed a little clear stuff. Is this considered an open wound or would it had to of bled in order for it to have been open?

My second question is..... if there was an open wound on someone and they did dispose of a feminine product and possibly brushed against someone elses blood... what is the likely hood of transmission? I feel like everywhere I go I am at risk..... who knows who was bleeding before opening a door or flushing a toilet or anything for that matter..... blood could be anywhere and it is very common to have little knicks on the hands.... is it just not this easy to transmit? Please help explain this, I don't want to walk around afraid to touch anything.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Those are not real risks. Forget it, you are fine. Even with a real live needle stick the chances are low. Wash your hands and go on with life! DTD

Previous
re: liver cirrhosis and fatigue
Next
Strange HepB Test Results - Please Help!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.