discolred veins and spleen pain

About 5 weeks ago my condom broke during very high risk anal sex. Five days following the incident, a had a sensation to urinate constantly, and periodically felt sick to my stomach. I went to my PCP a few days later, and she gave me anti-biotics in the event I was exposed to chlam, gon, syph; all these and hiv came back negative of course. About 10 days following incident, I became very sick (soar throat, periodic nausea, muscle aches throughout body, no appetite, incredibly stiff neck, periodic pain in groin and armpits), which lasted for a little over two weeks. Toward the end of these two weeks my left side below rib began hurting frequently, and I have noticably discolored veins (blue and purple) on my fingers, palms of hands, wrists. Should I go to an HIV specialist or Hep spec? My PCP says she has no idea what the veins are. Thank you for this resource.

You describe multiple symptoms but none of them point me specifically to HIV or HCV or HBV infection. I would start simply by checking your liver function tests. If they are normal, I wouldn't pursue hepatitis testing further. If you desire further evaluation for HIV you can consider talking to your PCP about getting an HIV RNA which is a viral load.

Dr. McGovern

blood banks
Is HCV and HIV coinfection a chronic or deadly infection?