The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recovered from Hep-B, however still have symptoms, very confused!
Sep 13, 2004

Dear Dr,

I recovered from a severe bout with Acute Hepatitis-B 4 months ago and I cleared the surface antigen and developed surface antibodies and all my liver enzymes are back to normal, however my stools are still yellow and I cant figure out why. I had an ultrasound and it said I had fatty liver but the Dr wasnt at all concerned about it. He also tested me for Hep-C twice which was negative.

My Dr refuses to do a biopsy or a CT scan because he says it is not appropriate for me, but I want some answers. Is this something that I should be concerened about or am I overreacting? I thought that excess bile could be harmfull, also I am concerned that it might be damaging my liver the longer it happens. Thank you for any reply.

Response from Dr. McGovern

It is not clear to me why your stools might be yellow in color but I wouldn't expect that to be from your liver.

As for fatty liver - Fatty liver in and of itself is a benign condition. If the fat becomes inflammed, something called steatohepatitis, then the liver can develop some scarring.

If you are overweight, it may do you well to lose some weight since the amount of fat in the liver can be related to waist size. If your liver tests become persistently abnormal again it would be reasonable at that time to consider a liver biopsy. Dr. McGovern

Dr. Dieterich never answered ... PLESE help calm my nerves!!!!
blood banks

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint