|Help with Hep B results
Aug 31, 2004
I have recentlY been tested for Hep B and was given the following results
HBsAg DETECTED HBeAg NOT DETECTED Core Antibody DETECTED HBV DNA NOT DETECTED (including PCR)
All liver test results were NORMAL (alt 22 and AST 22). My doctor says this could be a case of inactive chronic Hep B and that I have cleared the virus and I am not infectious. My questions are:-
1. What is HBsAg and what does it mean when only it is DETECTED. Why is it there if I have cleared the virus?
2. Can this case turn from being inactive to active?
3. Could the HBsAg being in the process of being cleared?
Thanks a lot and I look forward to your clarifications.
Response from Dr. McGovern
Your doctor is correct by saying that you are an "inactive carrier". Hepatitis B surface antigen is a protein that is being expressed, but the whole virus is not being released into your bloodstream. Certain circumstances can cause your virus to become "reactivated" like when a patient goes on high dose steroids. Eventually your hepatitis B surface antigen may clear completely.
Your doctor will monitor your liver function tests and if they become elevated, then the activity of your virus will be reassessed. Dr. McGovern
I just came back from Iraq and worried
- Will Hpv 6 And 11 Clear On Their Own?
- What If You Have Chlamydia For Over A Year?
- What Does The Discharge From Chlamydia Look Like For Men?
- What Doctor To See About Genital Warts?
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Herpes Or Warts From A Safe Exposure With A Prostitute?
- Syphilis And Floaters
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.