Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

NURSE SAYS YOU CAN GET HEP C FROM GARBAGE CAN
Aug 31, 2004

I was watching the news last night and nurse\ said that you can get HIV or HEP B and C from garbage can. Besucause you don't know what people throw in them or if there was dry blood on them. That story made me realized something thats scaring me. Yesterday i had my son for the afternoon and he had a drink in his hand. Well we always raised him to throw out his garbage. He went to the garbage and threw it, but he reach towards it and the underarm part of his shirt touched the rim on the can. It was one of those fancy type garbage can designs. Well a little over 45 mintues, I was trying some free samples of after shave and body spray. These one were in sprays. My son wanted to try them out like me and asked me to spray him. So I grabbed a can and he lift up his arms and I sprayed him. It was the same side that his shirt touched the garbage can. Well after I sprayed he imediately put his nose on the shirt and smelled it. Also before, about 10 minutes before the after shave, he was fooling around with his cousin and they were in the cleasning aisle of the store and his cousin took a can of lysol and sprayed the area, some of hit my son and he used that shirt sleeve side to wipe it off of him. I quickly took it and asked him if he got any on his, my only concern at the time was burning at the time, he said no, but he said so, just on my cheek, but he wiped his t-shirt all over his face and nose. He even said it smelled nice. Now thanks to that nurse story story I wonder if he could have gotten one of those blood diseases Is it possible to get HIV or Hepatitis or worst??? I mean if he rubbed his nose on that shirt while smelling it and the virus went up his nose by breathing,by blowing his nose or picking at it (he's just a child) if that's possible, I don't know what to think anymore. I wish that this never had happened.

Concerned Father

Response from Dr. McGovern

You have detailed the events carefully.

I see no risk of acquiring any infection from what I have read.

Dr. McGovern

Previous
HCC in Inactive carrier
Next
HCV lab reports

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.