Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will HCV affect HIV seroconvertion, part 2
Aug 29, 2004

Dear Doctor McGovern,

Thank you for your answer to my question. It helped me tocalm down. I am aware the the non sexual Chlamydia Pneumoniae does not affect possible seroconversion. I am just curious to know about the possible coinfection of HCV and HIV since HCV seems to be very common in China where I had my encounter. I am also aware of the low possibility of sexual transmission of HCV but it is possible however. Therefore I would like you to specify if the HIV seroconversion could be affected by HCV if they are transmitted simultaneusly? Or would the HIV antibodies show up already before the HCV affects the functions of the body (due to probably shorter window period)?

I attach my previous message to this additional message. Thank you very much in advance.

Sleeping already much better

Thank you very much for a very informative website. It has given a lot of answers but few remain unclear for me.

I had unprotected oral sex with a sex worker in China in March 2004. I have been tested for STDs incl. HIV antibodies (ELISA)at 7, 12 and 15 weeks after exposure. All tests came back negative. However I had Chlamydia Pneumoniae and got antibiotics for it. I have not been tested for hepatitis but have been vaccinated against A and B 2001.

My questions are: 1. Should I get tested for HCV? 2. Can I trust my HIV negative tests or is it possible the my antibiotic against Chlamydia Pneumoniae or possible HCV co-infection would have affected my seroconversion? 3. Are there cases where HIV negative test after 3 months has turned into positive later (single exposure)?

Please help me. I am 30 years old and used be fit. I am married and my wife is pregnant and I should get back to my normal life and be able to support her. Thank you in advance.

Still worried

I would not get tested for hepatitis C based on the exposure which you describe.

Although you were diagnosed with Chlamydia, that result will not interfere with HIV testing results.

It is possible to have a negative HIV antibody test become positive after three months, but your exposure was so low risk, that I would be confident in your 3 month result.

Your wife should be tested for Chlamydia if you had intercourse with her at the time of your infection. It is also possible that she already had routine testing for Chlamydia with her prenatal care. I agree that you should get back to your "normal life" and be supportive to your wife who will need your help even more as time goes on in her pregnancy. I hope this information is helpful to you. Dr. McGovern

Response from Dr. McGovern

There is not a lot of information about simultaneous transmission of HIV and HCV. Traditional time points of testing should be adequate in most cases. Dr. McGovern

Previous
Chronic B & C+ - should I treat?
Next
A QUESTION FROM INDIA!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.