Neupogen for WBC

Dear Dr.McGovern, At my last Dr.visit he stated that he may add Neupogen because the rebetol had caused my WBC to drop to 2.0,(ref.range 4.0-10.0).My guestion is at what point should I ad the neupogen?? I have been feeling really bad, could the WBC also cause this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You, R1

The total white cell count, (WBC) is reliably depressed by interferon. Some people required a growth factor, neupogen, to increase their WBC. Your WBC count is not terribly low just yet. Some physicians lower the dose of interferon; other add neupogen which is very effective in increasing the cell count. Physicians vary at which level they will add neupogen. We tend to add it, without lowering the dose of interferon, at an ANC (absolute neutrophil count) of 750 or less.

The one thing I want to make clear is that interferon is probably making you feel "really bad" and that getting your WBC higher will not change that feeling. Keep yourself well hydrated, particularly in the summer, exercise if you can, and rest as needed.

Best wishes for your treatment success, Dr. McGovern

out of my mind with worry
is my child at risk?